|Urban Tax Management|
“Urban property taxes are one of the most underutilized forms of taxation in LDCs”
- African Economic Outlook 2010
Street Identification using GPS and LANDSAT imagery
“Urban property taxes can potentially provide the financing of urban infrastructure investment which is central to improving the production and export capacity of light manufacturing plants, many of which are located in urban centres. Furthermore, urban property taxes:
1. Provide one of the few potential sources of taxation for municipal governments.
2. Can provide the impetus for the creation of urban property databases which could help improve the synergy between municipal taxation and urban planning.
3. Provides one of the few mechanisms through which progressive taxation can be developed in LDC.
4. Contributes to making property rights more secure.” (Di John, 2009 Presentation for African Economic Outlook 2010)
The Urban Administration program of the Revenue Development Foundation (RDF) supports local governments in defining a viable method for a fair and manageable property taxation system.
Dim lights Embed Embed this video on your site
Bo City Council increased revenues from property tax and business licensing by three times when introducing RDFs methodology and system for propert tax administration. Bo is now a center for excellence in urban tax administration in Sierra Leone.
If you are interested in having a RDF consultation or downloading RD Urban Tax Administration, please contact us.